Wednesday 23 April 2014

Beacon Easter Bunny Run 10k

A bit late blogging this one, didn't get round to it for some reason...

The Beacon Easter Bunny Run was my April leg of my 2014_10kChallenge.  I entered this back in December knowing that the start of the race was at the bottom of a hill which led to the highest point in Leicestershire, Beacon Hill.  I naively thought one climb of the hill would be all that was included, that would have been enough for me....

The day came and I arrived at the site to be greeted by the local scout group managing the car park, I couldn't believe how many people were there!  I'd read during the week leading up that it was a record entry for both races, the 10k and a 3k family fun run.

The race was well organised, plenty for spectators to do.  There was a coffee stall, BBQ stall doing bacon and sausage sandwiches, there were a few brave runners tucking in.  They even had a massage tent giving free leg massages to runners, I figured they would be busy after the race so I took advantage and had a free pre run rub down.

The race was soon underway, and after a 100m start straight we were heading upwards, one full mile of incline got us started, followed by nearly a mile downhill, we then turned back up the hill....

2 climbs!

I reached the summit for a second time, this was hard work.  We then headed downwards again, I was hoping that things would soon level out for the second half of the run.  No! We turned uphill again!

3  CLIMBS!!!

The third assent was in stages but not enough time between them to recover fully.  I was on for the slowest 10k I'd ever done, but this one was strangely satisfying.  The last couple of miles were downhill/flat and quick, in fact mile 5-6 was my quickest segment of the race!

59:19 is a shocking time for a 10k for me, but this was probably the most enjoyable 10k I'd ever done.  A very well organised event hosted by the Loughborough Beacon Rotary Club in only it's 3rd year, this event is sure to become a well attended regular on the East Midlands calendar.

Next up Leicesters Big 10k in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment