Wednesday 23 April 2014

ITB Blues

Training has frustratingly come to a halt due to me suffering with ITB syndrome AKA runners knee.  I'm no doctor so here's a wiki lesson on what it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

The upshot is that I'm currently taking 2 weeks minimum off from running.  I'm 10 days in and getting frustrated.  It feels much better but I know I can't rush it.  I've been foam rolling, K Taping and taking glucosamine  in an effort to heal it.  I will also be running with an IT Band above my knee to help prevent it from returning.

This has made me realise how important it is to get everything right for New York, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise...  I've been and had a gait test at Sweatshop and bought some properly fitted running shoes.  I was very interesting to see how my feet and ankles aligned and moved around whilst running, I'd recommend a proper gait analysis to anyone who is thinking about taking up running seriously.

Fingers crossed my first run back this weekend will be ok, I'm taking it back to basics and starting at week one of a half marathon training programme.   One step at a time is the key to this from here on.

No comments:

Post a Comment