Sunday 18 May 2014

Leicester's Big 10k

Well fingers crossed my ITBS problems have passed by, 2 weeks rest was frustrating but appears to have worked.  I have also had a physio session to work out what could be causing my problems.

So today saw May's leg of my #2014_10kChallenge.  The hottest day of the year so far was suggested by the weatherman last night, so any hopes of a PB were put out of my mind.  In fact I shouldn't really be hunting for PB's at all, Marathon training precedes all other ambitions between now and November 2nd!  But is was a good day and I'm in my best form since returning to running after over a year on the sofa.

Leicester's 10k is set in Abbey Park, a nice place with the river Soar running through it, well worth a visit if park walking is your thing.  Another well organized event, with plenty of water at the two stops, a blessing in today's heat (20c at 10am).  As usual my 1st mile was too fast, 2nd better and 3rd at 9 min pace as I realised I'd be cooked if I kept pressing 8:30 pace, mile 4 and 5 were better after a slower mile 3.  Although no PB attempt was made I easily achieved my best time of the year over 10k's, 53:15.  Still room for improvement I'm sure, but the Mara is definitely my priority.  Maybe next year I'll go for a sub 50 10k.

No comments:

Post a Comment