Sunday 5 September 2010

Camelia and Canal Bridges 107k Audax - Sunday 5th September *Road*

Back on the bike after over a month off, very nice ride starting and finishing in Moira near Asby de la Zouch.  Met Dad for Tea and sign on just before 9am and we set out at half past, pretty much downhill for the first 10k, when I say downHILL I really mean downslope, pretty flat out that way and the ride managed to avoid any hills the area has to offer as you'd expect from a ride with CANAL in the name.

Audax rides are paced to avoid the racer types blasting round, we met all the checkpoints (except the last) bang on the fastest ave speed limit at a leisurely 15.4 mph, the second cafe stop we did stop for coffee and a rather tasty slice of carrot cake, the topping was to die for.

Somewhere near Atherstone we picked up a wheel sucker, he would not do any of the work at all, letting Dad and I ride at the front, this really pissed me off when he waited for us to leave the cafe so he could continue to have a 'free tow'.  The next info control we outfoxed the old devil and stopped to write down the required info, he was in front of us and not happy, he waited for us to catch him up and like a fool I obliged and went past, he clung on again refusing to do any work, so I put the hammer down, the old bugger wont follow this... I didn't go too hard but enough to let him know, the old bastard still clung on.  Next junction I faked a pull off, he was in front again, this time I was not passing him!  Well he slowed right down to 10mph in places, I sat on his wheel with a smug grin across my face, I wasn't passing, this continued in a stop start fashion for some time until around 2 miles to go I passed him, again he followed suit until 500 yards to go and he nailed it like a chav in a Saxo, did I let him let him go.....no I followed suit and followed him into the car park and passed him on the line :)

All in the silly games cost us a bit of time but we still got in 4 hours 15 mins, not a bad time considering my lack of activity recently, you really do loose that fitness fast!

A good ride and good to be on the road again, next Sunday a ride out to watch the pro's pass by on the Tour of Britain stage 2.



Distance = 64.7 miles
Time = 4 hrs 15 mins
Ave Speed = 15.2 mph
Top Speed = 37.3 mph
Hillometer = 41.2 ft/mile

Weather = Overcast/Showers, 15c

2010
MTB = 89.2
Road Bike = 2307.8
Single Speed = 27.4
Total Mileage = 2424.4

No comments:

Post a Comment