Tuesday 14 June 2011

Manchester Velodrome

Disscussing 'tactics' for the team pursuit
Beeston CC took a road trip to Manchester last weekend for a track session at the National Cycling Centre, and what fun it was!

First time on a fixed in over 25 years for me and first time on a track. 

After getting changed we walk up into the arena, first thing that strikes me is just how steep the banking is, it's like a bloody wall!  Too late to panic now, off we trot to claim our bikes and get our shoes on.

Once ready Russ our coach for the session briefed us on the 'rules'

Rule 1: Don't stop peddaling
Rule 2: You can't go too fast!

Then we were off, a couple of laps on the flat surface next to the track then as we sped up Russ told us to get on the track and onto the black line.  First corner on the black line and I'm thinking "shit this is steep I'm not going any further up"

58cm Dolan Track Bike (83.5" gear)
Then the bike starts pulling me back down off the track, it's then I realise why Russ told us to go hard into and round the bends, if you dont your heading south!  So the next bend I crank it up a bit and keep going through the bend, wow what a feeling, I've been bitten by the bug already.  Next time past and Russ is shouting me to go on the red line, further up the track, out I move and kick into the bend, again WOW!  As I pass coach Russ on the next lap he shouts "Blue, blue" out I move to the blue, it's even better, who'd have thought, within 4 laps I'm used to the fixed gear and I'm loving the track, something that has never really appealed to me.  Fun over for a few minutes, coach Russ is calling us back in, how do I stop this thing?  Slowing down is not an issue, stopping it and getting off is quite another, I pull in and start grabbing for the barrier, firm grip on the barrier, I've stopped, unclip feet, that was easy!

'Team Novice' Team Pursuit


Team pursuit was next, we were split into three teams, Team Blue made of club members in club colours who have all ridden the boards before.  Team Black, mixed ability team of club members and guests, and finally Team Novice, the first timers on the track, me included.  Team Blue did a good tight ride and worked well together, Team Black put a pretty good effort in too. 

Team Novice however were an absolute shambles, by lap 2 of 8 myself and Steve were half a lap ahead of our 'team mates', we held up for a couple of laps but the boys were not catching us so we buried it for the final two laps and finished 3/4's of a lap ahead of the rest of the team.  Oh well, something to work on next time!




Next up was the 200 meter sprint with rolling start, after studying club mates lines and taking advice from Russ it was clear I needed to be at the top of that banking coming into the straight before the start line and then drop down the banking in the bend where the start line is.  As my time comes around I nervously set off knowing I need to go higher up that banking than ever before and with only just over 1/2 a lap to get up to speed.  Off I set gettig up to speed as quick as possible trying to save energy, round the first bend nice and low, into the back straight moving up the boards and bringing the speed up, pushing hard to get above the advertising markings on the track, I'm up there, bloody hell this good!  Into the finish straight I'm as high as I can go ready to drop down to the start line on the next bend.  Hit the bend and head down to the line.  WOW what a feeling, peddling as hard as I can heading south, what acceleration!  Now remembering to keep as tighter line as possible for the next 180 meters, down the straight into the bend, keeping as tight as I can at 30 mph, onto the finish straight and over the line 15.31 seconds after passing the start line.  No danger of breaking any records but I'm pleasantly surprised with my time.

The sprint was followed by a 'free session' for a bout 20 mins for us to do what ever we liked, I headed out with one thing in mind..... going round the bends at the very top of the boards.... I did it :)

I only went for the experience, I had no intention of ever going again, it was an experience to tick off the list.  My name will be down for the next visit!  It was great, a real buzz going fast on a fixed round a track.

Track Session = 16 Miles



2011
Road Bike = 1018.1
Single Speed = 44.9*
Fixed = 16
Indoor = 44.4
Total Mileage = 1123.4

*= edited to add commute

No comments:

Post a Comment