Monday 25 April 2011

New Birds

We recently lost all our bantams to the dirty paws of the local foxes (I will be dealing with them), so have had a bit of a rethink and a shuffle round of our poultry assetts.  Due to the allotment going and space needed at home the old bantam runs have been taken down and returned to garden space.  The ageing flock of chickens was ready for some younger blood but I was going to wait for another couple to 'pop' off before getting some new ones as we had the bantams laying as well.

I got chatting to a colleague at work who happens to live a few doors down from us who said he had a couple of  9 week old sussex chicks I could have as he hasn't the room for them, problem is he didn't know what sex they were, well I went for a look and couldn't tell either.  The fact that he was offering them for nowt and that I'd just lost my back up supply of eggs from the bantams I took them both on the basis that they could both be hens, if not I know a place that will take them of my hands, but it's worth taking the chance given that I needed some new blood in the flock anyway.

9 week old Sussex's

No comments:

Post a Comment