Friday 24 February 2012

2/365

Well already I'm struggling to fill a small section of my blog, good job I was off work today and had the fortune to take another bike ride.

Before this though came the task of fitting some new pedals to the bike, an annoying creak yet to be identified gave me the justification I needed to buy some new pedals, needless to say the creak is still there after the pedals were changed.  With the new pedals came new cleats for my shoes, lesson one learned for today was how important it is to clean your cleats regularly, I haven't done so and struggled like hell to remove the old ones.  After a good half hour of fiddling and swearing, a few good squirts of WD40 I eventually liberated the outgoing cleats from the base of my shoes.

New pedals and cleats fitted it was time for a test run, two objectives for the ride.... 1: Ride for two hours 2: Avoid comedy falls and stay upright at all times.  Happy to say both objectives were met, the float on the pedals was set to the looser side of centre, which gave the same amount of 'float' on my previous set up but was much harder to unclip from, a bit more practice needed I think.

So the ride itself, a couple of hours on my training route around Sutton Bonnington, West Leake and Gotham at a steady pace in blustery conditions.  The good thing about this route is that one can add or remove sections to the ride easily depending on the mood or time allowance and it's mainly flat with a few steady slopes within easy reach, not hills but inclines which can be 'powered' up.

The other benefit to riding loops on a windy day is there are no prolonged spells of riding into the wind, it's never too long before you turn out of the wind and receive a gentle push from the invisible hand which was just against your face. 

Today I rode in my Macmillan Cancer Support jersey for the first time, I got this 2 years ago for my sponsored C2C ride, it was the largest one Macmillan had in stock, lets just say it wasn't very flattering on my chunky frame.  Since then I've shed a fair bit of timber (almost 2 stone since last August) and finally I can fit inside this jersey without testing the stitching on the seams.



Distance = 51.5 km
Time = 1 hrs 58 mins
Ave Speed = 26.2 kph
Ascent = N/A

2012
Road Bike = 663.2 km
Indoor = 263.5 km
Ran = 83.4 km
Total = 1010.3 km

No comments:

Post a Comment