Wednesday 29 February 2012

7/366

Granny's flat
I was on a local route today which took me down memory lane, well Ulldale Court to be precise. 

This is where my Gran lived before she passed away 22 years ago.  It brought back memories of when as a 12 year old lad I used to ride up through the army barracks to see 'Granny'.  Each visit would be virtually the same, I'd walk in say "Hello", give her a kiss and be told to make a drink, before been given a few pennies to go to the shop next door.  20 odd years later I'm back in the shop delivering bread...

Back to the late 80's, I'd then have to recall my every move since the last visit to Granny, and then listen to her moan about anything that took her fancy, there was always something!  She would rarely move from her chair, perfectly positioned so she could see just about everything with moving a muscle, out the window, the TV her kitchen and bed area and even if she moved her head just a fraction who was coming through the door, though she'd tell you no one ever did, we all knew different.  There was a strange smell about the place, at the time I could never figure it out, I now know it to be a smell created by several OAP's with weak bladders and the subsequent bleaches and sterilisers. 

Not the greatest of memories you may think, but she was moved to this warden assisted flat as she could no longer cope alone in Scarborough and needed care and to be closer to her family.  Of course prior to this when in better health there are fonder memories despite her being a grumpy old girl most of the time, must be where I get it from then.....  

Now tucked up in bed watching what I can of the football before falling asleep ahead of my last shift for 9 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment