Sunday 18 July 2010

Developing as a cyclist?

Over the past few weeks I am noticing many changes in my cycling ability, the c2c has given me the confidence that I can actually get over big hills.  Before where I used to select the granny ring at the bottom of the slightest incline I now leave the gears alone and get out of the saddle on the shorter stuff, on the longer stuff I'll keep the middle chain ring as long as I can, I actually attack hills now rather than shy away from the things.

50 miles used to leave my legs feeling as though they were lumps of lead, now I'm fit and still willing to keep pedaling at the 50 mile mark.

I have not used the heart rate monitor recently but I can feel that I am fitter, I don't get out of breath so easily and I can feel my heart rate is slower, perhaps I should use the H/R monitor for a while to measure my progress.

The single speed will no doubt improve my fitness further.

The only thing I'm not happy with is my apparent inability to loose a decent amount of weight, I've gone from 103kg down to 99.8kg but just seem to hover around the 100kg mark.  I eat far less snacks nowadays and don't drink beer any more (unless we go out).  I know muscle growth will account for some of this but I was expecting the weight to drop of easier than this.  I guess it will happen over a longer period of time, I'd still like to get down to 90kg if I can.

All in all I'm really pleased with my progress thus far and am looking forward to being able to complete 100 milers with relative ease within the next 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment