Monday 12 September 2011

Saturday 10 September - Hilly, Bulls, wheelies and spins

Carrying on the hilly theme of my riding I headed out toward the Peak and Holly Lane on a hilly ride.  Headed to No Mans Lane first of all, a local climb which always warms the legs up only 2 miles from home, after the steady incline through Stanton By Dale and decline of Cat and Fiddle lane (not THE Cat and Fiddle) it was onwards to one of Beeston CC's favourite locals, Cloves Hill, short but pretty steep.  A couple of weeks ago you may recall I came across two cows at the top of this hill, well Saturday I came across about 10 young bulls in the same place.  These young fella's didn't look too impressed as I rounded the corner headed right towards them.  I gingerly picked a course through the bulls only to spook one as I rounded the back of him, well his legs went out nearly clipping me but also spooking the rest of the herd, it was time for me to leave and quick.  I got out unscathed but lets just say my heart was pounding as I rolled down the other side on Sandy Lane.

No incidents onwards towards Heage and then the comically named Spanker Lane, Spanker climb despatched Holly Lane was next, for those who do not know Holly, she's a bitch!  Very steep first section of approx 25-30% the a relentless 10-15% drag.  The only way for me to stop pulling the involuntary wheelies is to get out of the saddle, so I did just that.  A greasy road surface under trees now meant that when out of the saddle the back wheel was spinning as I put the (limited) power down on the pedals, so I'm now wrestling the front and rear of the bike to get up the steepest part of Holly Lane, she didn't beat me though.

Across the top of the hills toward Shottle it was a bit drizzly but not enough to crack the waterproof jacket out, and once the descending began the air soon dried up, a quick section to Duffield is always a pleasure.  The little kick up onto Eaton Bank always catches me breathless before another BCC favourite Drum Hill.  Drum is another good climb which kicks up a little about half way as you pass under the A38, it seems to be easier for me this year though thankfully.  Once Drum was dealt with it was a simple ride home through Spondon, Borrowash, Risley and Long Eaton.

Really enjoyed this hilly run on what was a very warm autumn morning, too warm for the short zipped jersey I chose to wear....


 Distance = 76.6 km
Time = 3 hr 25 mins
Ave Speed = 22.4 kph
Top Speed = 57.8 kph
Hillometer = 15.3 m/km
Max H/R = N/A
Ave H/R = N/A
Weather = Sunny Spells 20c

2011
Road Bike = 2565.2 km
Single Speed = 102.2 km
Fixed = 26 km
Indoor = 71.5 km
Total km = 2764.9 km

No comments:

Post a Comment