Monday 19 September 2011

Sunday 18 September, Mamma's Mountain Views

Audax time again, and this time some Welsh hills, and boy(o) do they know how to do hills, Old Horseshoe Pass was a best, but more of that later...

GPS Stats
I arrived at the start in plenty of time, and next time I do so remind to switch my GPS on as it took 15 mins to get a fix, by which time I was 2k's from the start!  It was a bright start but chilly so of I went with leg and arm warmers fitted.  The roads however were wet and quite dirty.  About 15 of us formed a nice group which lasted all the way to the first control which came after 44 mostly flat k's.  Flat been the operative word as just before said stop I picked a bloody great hawthorn up in my front tyre.  So after a quick flapjack and tube change I headed away from Chirk, past the castles rather elaborate gates and into the hills.

Short and steep was the order at first gradually getting longer as I rode further into Wales and eventually descended into Llangollen, then there was a big kick up to Old Horse Shoe Pass which was an even huger kick up, one like which I have not encountered before, it was evil, long and evil.  The stop at the Penderosa Cafe at the top was most welcome.

From there it was a good steady ride bar one short steep climb after the last control point, I had to bail out on this one as a car was blocking the road.

After that last climb at was a nice wind assisted 30k's back to base, most of which the old diesel engine opened up and I was away.

Another lovely ride from the Audax folk, 130km around Wrexham and the surrounding mountains.  And a good taste of what the Welsh mountains have to offer in two weeks time.




Distance = 130 km
Time = 6 hrs 3 mins
Ave Speed = 21.4 kph
Top Speed = 62.8 kph
Hillometer = 20.4
Weather = Sunny Spells, Showers 12c

2011
Road Bike = 2874.4 km
Single Speed = 102.2 km
Fixed = 26 km
Indoor = 71.5 km
Total = 3074.1 km

No comments:

Post a Comment