Sunday 25 September 2011

Saturday 24 September, More Hills

Sunrise over Sandiacre
Up and out early on a bright and chilly morning for the last hilly ride before the epic next Sunday, and within ten minutes I was treated to a sunrise at the top of the first hill Stanton Road, rising from Sandiacre.

From there it was familiar hilly ride roads, No Mans Lane, through Dale Abbey and West Hallam to Cloves Lane then onto Spanker Lane via Holbrook and Heage.  Holly Lane next up, and today I felt as though I had my best climb of Holly Lane, I definitely feel as though my climbing is becoming better.  On the way up Holly I climbed into slightly foggy conditions which stayed with me until Wirksworth, reminding me that it was still a chilly morning.

From Holly a little short tester up Bent Lane and then down into Wirksworth, a lovely little Peak town which I keep meaning to pay a visit with Mrs H.  The climb out of Wirksworth up West End is the last real tester on this route (bar Drum).  Shortly after this it's along the banks of Carsington Water, time for a little speed to build up as the roads become flatter as I headed towards Hullands Ward.  There's a lovely pub here with a B&B called The Black Horse where Mrs H and I spent a romantic night a few years back, another place I keep meaning to take her.  The speed is really getting up now and the rouleur in me is pressing on toward Kedleston and then Duffield.  Now back on familiar 'local' roads its Eaton Bank and Drum Hill before the usual Spondon, Borrowash, Risley run home.

A very nice ride on a lovely autumnal morning, well worth getting up early for.  With the epic looming  I'll have a couple of steady flat rides this week to keep the legs turning but nothing requiring much effort.





Distance = 94.2 km
Time = 4 hrs 5 mins
Ave Speed = 23 kph
Top Speed = 67.7 kph
Hillometer =16.3 m/km

2011
Road Bike = 3016.9 km
Single Speed = 102.2 km
Fixed = 26 km
Indoor = 71.5 km
Total = 3216.6 km

No comments:

Post a Comment