Wednesday 14 September 2011

Tuesday 13 September - Tour of Britain Stage 3

A couple of years ago I drove to Stoke for the departure of the riders and then drove up to Gun Hill to see them reach the top, this fuelled my desire to actually ride out to the stage. Last year as a group with some club mates we attempted to do so but underestimated the ability of the group and the time required, thus missing the riders by about half an hour.

This year I was determined to make it, I opened it up to clubmates again, but with it being on a weekday this year no one was up for it, either that or they didn't want to ride with me! Obviously this was going to be a hilly ride as the first climb for the pro's which was my destination was in the Peak District the other side of Ashbourne than I. I set out on familiar roads, up through Stanton and West Hallam and on to Cloves Hill yet again, then the route turned towards Holbrook, another good climb through there. This should have been followed by a quick descent into Duffield was anything but, a viscous headwind meant me peddling down the hill! Once through Duffield a tough climb into a square on headwind was a killer, it was steady up hill all the way to Ashbourne from here, into the wind, this was tough.

Kom - Ramshorn

I was starting to feel the efforts against this wind by the time I rode through Ashbourne town centre and was looking forward to reaching my goal, I was also a little concerned that I was maybe to miss the peloton again, surely if I was slower because of the wind so they would be.... I hoped.

It was a lumpy ride from Ashbourne to the bottom of Ramshorn without any real hills but plenty to keep the pain up.  Ramshorn was the first climb of the day for the tour, a cat 2 climb none the less.  I hit the bottom of the climb and to my surprise it took me up at a very favourable rate, this isn't as bad as I was expecting.  Then things levelled out, what's all the fuss about I'm asking myself.  The 'fuss' is that this goes on and on and on, a little ramp, levels out, bigger ramp, levels off, bigger ramp, you get the picture.  It not the severity of the climb, it's the length of it!

About half way up I pass the most ridiculous of things considering a professional bike race is about to pass, a tractor cutting the hawthorn hedgerow by the road side, great planning by the local authorities!

Almost missed the leaders

At that point I should add I didn't know I was half way and it kept heading towards the sky, by now the crowds are getting bigger, and old fella tips his hat "well done lad, not far to go" some one shouts "go Beeston" I'm genuinely getting encouragement from the crowds.  The road starts pointing downwards, I have a horrible feeling I'll pay for this, and yes I did, one last dig upwards and finally I can see the banner at the top of the hill.  By now the ride marshalls and police bikes are passing, the riders are near by.

A few minutes to catch my breath and a quick snack and the riders are upon us.  Three breakaway riders who by the time my phone is out and camera switched on I just manage to catch two of them.  Three minutes later the peloton approach and pass in a blur.

As quick as I've caught my breath it's all over, time to head home, first of all enjoying the descent I had just climbed.

I love descending at speed, my weight and size means it's one thing I am good at on a bike, a natural build for gravity assisted speed.  Not only was the ride home more down than up it was also down wind.  That wind that had hampered my ride out would now give me a friendly push home.

The peloton approach
The ride home was to the south of Ashbourne and back towards Keddleston and Duffield, back onto familiar hill training roads, Eaton Bank and Drum Hill.  The last few k's were fantastic, dead flat road and the strong wind square on my back, Borrowash to Toton, ave speed 40kph! Brilliant end to a brilliant ride and a brilliant ride.




Distance = 120.5 km
Time = 5 hr 11 mins
Ave Speed = 23.3 kph
Top Speed = 66.6 kph
Hillometer = 14.7 m/km
Max H/R = N/A
Ave H/R = N/A
Weather = Sunny Spells 18c

2011
Road Bike = 2685.7 km
Single Speed = 102.2 km
Fixed = 26 km
Indoor = 71.5 km
Total km = 2885.4 km

No comments:

Post a Comment