Wednesday 14 March 2012

21/366

Blogging from my phone tonight so the picture may just appear to be a black void, but if you look closely you should see two white dots.  Those two dots in tonight's western sky are Jupiter and Venus.  I am no astronomer but am reliably informed by Robert that Venus (the upper and brighter of the two) is the hottest planet and Jupiter the largest.

As said I have no real interest in astronomy but can't help but be impressed by seeing two planets with the naked eye.  Not long ago Robert and I attended the night sky event at Wollaton Park where we viewed Jupiter (I could be wrong) through a telescope.  To the naked eye it looked like a bright star, but through the scope you could (just) see the striped surface of the planet and several of its moons.  Again I couldn't help but be impressed.

In other news, whilst viewing our neighbouring planets I could hear a helicopter buzzing around, Robert commented that is was flying around earlier in the day.  After consulting the local jungle drums via facebook and Twitter and following subsequent leads it is apparent armed police are negotiating with a wanted criminal on a canal boat a mile or so from Hobbs Towers - http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/News-and-Appeals/News/2012/March/Mar14-Police-incident-in-Sandiacre.aspx

They better sort it by Monday, I'm planning on running home from Ilson along the canal.


No comments:

Post a Comment