Friday 30 March 2012

37/366

My faith in the British public has been partly restored today after being on the receiving end of a good deed.  I had the misfortune of hitting a pheasant today whilst on my round, or maybe it was the pheasant who suffered the misfortune?  Amazingly the only damage to my truck was a number plate was snapped leaving my front number plate swinging around.  Unfortunately for the pheasant, she suffered a much more serious outcome, one she is not here to tell her family about.

With the company I work for being a stickler for 'the book' and quite rightly so I obviously rang the incident in and suggested I secured the plate somehow and continued on my round.  Whilst in the shop I was serving an old fella came over to let me know about my swinging number plate, to which I thanked him for taking the trouble to let me know but that I was aware.  The old boy reckoned he has some wire in his van and could secure it for me if I wished.  Carry on my man!  Next thing I know he's back from the back of his van (I don't know if it was some kind of Aladdin's cave) with some cable ties and a number plate bolt! How random!  "If the bolt don't fit I'll strap her up with these" he proudly announced.

Within a few minutes he was beaming with glee, he had secured my number plate and was obviously happy at being able to assist me.  I said my thank you's and sent him off with a couple of loafs, he didn't want to accept but I insisted, "We've got to look after each other" he proclaimed!  Now if only a few more people had this attitude, it certainly make you think about yourself.  I'm guilty of not putting myself out for those few minutes on occasions, we are always in a rush or too busy to help.

I got a lucky break today with that old boy being in the right place at the right time, next time if I can help someone I will, we only get out of life what we are prepared to put as Mrs H commented when I told her the story. 

I've decided on the Wilier, application for the Ride to Work voucher has gone in, now awaiting for my certificate to come through from Evans and the order goes in.  I also signed up to CTC today so that I can claim another 10% off the price of the bike as I will be spending over the £1000 limit.  Not only the discount but the CTC membership offers good insurance cover for its members.

No comments:

Post a Comment