Friday 20 April 2012

58/366

Every cyclist loves getting a new bike, in fact everybody with a hobby loves getting new equipment for it, so I'm a happy boy today. The subject of my excitement is pictured in today's blog.  My trip to Evans although pleasant and courteous did raise concerns, but I must praise MtM (Matt the manager) as he wangled the 10% discount I was told I would get then informed I wouldn't as Wilier are not included despite the fact I was told they where.  Confused?  So was I.  I would have argued the toss all day to get the discount but MtM solved the issue without me needing to cause a fuss. 

Love the colour coded calipers...
The concern I have though is that the bike was brought out to me whilst I selected the accessories I needed, I then paid for bike and accessories and that was it!  No offer of a quick spin, no offer to set me up on the bike, nothing!  I wasn't bothered as it happens as I am capable and would rather set it up myself, but what about those that can't, they walk out of the shop with a bike they haven't had set up and have no idea of how to, it is this kind of service that gives LBS's the bad name they are getting.  Whilst everything is very pleasant and the staff do make you feel welcome and valued it is a worry that once you've handed over the cash they really don't seem to care if the bike is suitable for you or not.

and the detailing on the crank arms, square tubing and internal cable routing
Once home I set about some minor alterations as well as setting the bars and saddle in the correct position.  The Mavic rims on the Trek were swapped over along with the colour coded tyres, so the Trek is now sporting the Shimano rims that came on the Wilier, computer, pedals and saddle bag fitted, oh and the all important Bike Pure spacer to show my support against drugs in cycling.

Once I had returned the dining room back to just that as opposed the cycle workshop it had temporarily been it was time for session 3 of 'the running plan' another steady 30 minute run, same route as 4 days ago but this time 3 minutes quicker and completed in a shade under the 30 minutes.  I should be on a 6 miler tomorrow but I may abstain as I have a 100 mile Audax on Sunday to worry about, so session 4 may have to wait until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment